Saturday, October 26, 2013

The 'Last Name' Trend

I was asked how we got Ben's name twice today, "Why'd you name him Bennett?" and "How'd you come up with Bennett?" I was asked twice last week also. And almost every time I go to the grocery store. People ask me this all. the. time. It's constant and I actually like that they ask, but you'd think I'd have a quick go-to answer. I need to work on that.

There has been a change with names as with the times. Lots of last names coming into play that I love. We know four different boys named Jackson, and two are spelled Jaxson. Jackson is a famous last name... a bold president, Michael Jackson & family, an amazing athlete, a cool actor, etc. We know two boys named Hudson. I went to school with a wonderful family whose last name was Hudson. We know one Colton on the way and have very close family friends whose last name is Colton. Preston, Harrison, Anderson, Garyson, Bailey, Carson, Miller... the list goes on & on. I've recently met some girls too - McKenna, McKenzie, and Kennedy.

Anyway, it took us three and a half days to settle on a name. We knew he looked like a Ben but we didn't want to name him the traditional, Benjamin (although I know some truly amazing Benjamins!) Other than Benjamin, the list was a bit too unique for us: Benedict, Benji, Benson, Benoit, or just Benn. Without telling our family, we considered Bennett for a couple of days. We tried it on. It worked. We fell in love with it.

Two things sort of fell into place. 1) I grew up in a rural area near a family of Bennetts. We didn't know them well but old Mr Bennett owned a business down the street. He must have driven past our house a million times, to and from his business. Every single time we saw him, he'd give us a smile and do this half wave thing - like the 'so-so' motion. It was his thing. He drove this little S-10 that was white and red. It brings back really nice memories. Memories that go way back before our road was paved. 2) My favorite book of all time is Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I've read it a million times. I swear to goodness I would have been Elizabeth Bennet back in those times. We prefer two T's on the end, but nonetheless I secretly love that I have my own little Bennett in our life. Now, if we have a girl we could name her Darcy. haha!

You should've seen our family's faces when we told them. Or heard the initial 'oh, okay' from my Dad when I called him. But once you meet his sweet little face and see his hazel eyes, you just fall in love and his name fits. Recently a woman easily pushing 90-95 said, "Oh, my maiden name was Bennett so I love it." and I almost started crying, right there as I stood. I wanted to take a photo of her so I could remember it forever, but that would have been creepy.

Okay, there it is. Good night!