Saturday, June 6, 2015

Our little crack up.

The other night we went out to dinner and Bennett was feeling silly. He waited until our waiter made eye contact with him and then said, "OH. MY. GOSH. I farted!!!" We all looked at each other in shock and then burst out laughing! It was hysterical. Secretly, I was thinking, "He just said FIVE words!" 

Words are amazing. He is adding so many words to his vocabulary every day. I love hearing him put a few together to make a statement. "I sit down" "Yes, I want it" "I can see it" "Dad come here" "Silly goose is funny!". He is trying to use words to get out of things... Bennett it's bath time - "No, I sit here (living room). I play." Do you want fruit pouch or snacks, "Ummm. I want snack instead." Right now he mimics exactly what we say, so we have to be careful!

I read in an article while I was pregnant that when babies are learning to communicate, you should verbally praise them but also show them affection. Something about the touching helps build their confidence to TRY to speak so even if they don't come close to pronouncing a word correctly, they are more likely to be fearless when trying again. I swear by it, even to this day. A side hug, rubbing their head, patting their back, anything!

But I do only have one kid, so who knows if it really helped. Bennett is having a blast at school. Since we're both working full time we make sure we bond with him on the weekends. Today we went to the aquarium in the morning and then out to lunch next door. After his nap we headed to the beach with a kite and then made dinner. It was an amazing day. Life is pretty darn great.